On February 6, 1934, the Schenectady Municipal Housing Authority, the first in New York State, was authorized and established by the City Common Council. On March 23, 1934, with the appointment of the first five members, the Authority became a reality. In 1938, the first tenants of the Authority occupied Schonowee Village.
Since our first 217 units in 1938, the Authority has grown to encompass seven conventional housing developments serving a total of 1,018 low-income families. Three properties, Schonowee Village, Ten Eyck Apartments and Lincoln Heights, serve the elderly and disabled, while four other properties, Yates Village, Steinmetz Homes, MacGathan Townhouses and Maryvale Apartments, serve families with children. The Schenectady Municipal Housing Authority’s Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher program serves the housing needs of 1,387 households throughout the City of Schenectady.